One of the best things about living in Ontario, is being able to experience all four seasons and the crazy range of weather that accompanies them.
Today we have received a mixed bag of wintery goodness in the form of a winter storm. Snow, rain and freezing rain have made driving treacherous, and the thought of being outside undesirable.
Even so, I love the winter months. Here are 10 Things I Love About Winter:
- Ice Skating. Indoors is fun, but nothing beats being on an outdoor rink.
- Tobogganing. I haven’t been in a few years, and climbing the hill is the worst part. It is always best when the hill is far too big and slightly dangerous.
- Good wet, sticky, packing snow. Perfect for snowballs and snowball fights. Also good for building snowmen too.
- The silence outside when snow is falling. It is beautiful. The whole world seems muffled and muted.
- Snowflakes and the way they sparkle and shine on a beautiful and sunny winter day.
- Puddles. The ones that have frozen over night. On gravel roads are the best. The ice is right at the top and only air below. Nothing reminds me of being a kid quite like the thrill and the crunch of stomping on a frozen puddle.
- Mild winter days. Ones where the temperature is hovering just above freezing and the sun is out. Those days when you can literally spend hours playing in the snow.
- Animal footprints. They are the best when you see them in freshly fallen snow. Always fun to try to figure out what animal left it.
- The way your nose and nostrils freeze on super cold days, when you inhale deeply. Bonus points if you can feel it in your lungs.
- Icicles that are hanging. Especially on mild days when you can see them slowly melting and dripping. The ones you want to watch, while keeping a safe distance because you know they could fall any minute.
Photographer credit goes to Owen for the two pictures taken while I was driving today. He is learning to master iPhone snapshots for me.