I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas. While mine was not exactly what I had hoped for, it was wonderful in all the ways I did not expect. Here are some thoughts from the past few days.
1) Shopping for Cards Against Humanity on December 23rd because you had a spur of the moment idea will not go well. Your late night run to Indigo (because they did have the game the previous week) will result in choosing another game that you have never heard of. Turns out that What Do You Meme? will cause copious amounts of inappropriate adult laughter when mixed with alcohol.
2) The greatest Christmas treat ever is Magic Cookie Bars. Always has been, and always will be. Mine have some slight modifications that make them the tastiest of course. Use more butter and graham than it calls for, pour the Eagle Brand on the graham and then add a bag of chocolate chips, the recipe amount of coconut and a small bag of pecan pieces. Perfection that doesn’t last for very long.
3) A drone flying around your home is very, very futuristic in a creepy sort of way. It makes a loud, off-tone sort of buzzing noise that is very unsettling. For a small drone it creates an insane amount of displaced air, and blows around anything close to it. Plus, I cannot stop thinking about an episode of Hawaii Five-0 that I watched a couple of times with Connor, where a huge drone gets weaponized and kills people. It is still very cool though, and has a lot of potential. Plus, it make for an extremely happy Owen.
4) Sortilege is a Canadian Whisky and Maple Syrup liqueur. It is heavenly, and may in fact be a new favorite. Thankful for the friends who introduced to me to this wonderful treat.
5) Spending Christmas Day driving through the snow is always worth it when you get to have dinner with your almost 94 year old Omi. In fact, it was one of the highlights of the day. It is even better when she lets you take a selfie with her. Plus, being able to connect her and her out-of-town grandchildren with Facetime was worth the drive itself.
6) There is no such thing as too many books. I was lucky to add two new cookbooks and two new novels to my collection this Christmas, plus one I am going to read with Owen. They are Thug Kitchen, The Whole 30 Fast & Easy, A Newfoundlander in Canada, The Handmaid’s Tale and Momentus: Small Acts, Big Change.
7) Snowshoes are fun. They require a much wider stance while walking and will cause some hip soreness in the short term, but are fun nonetheless. Unbeknownst to me, it is even possible to run in said snowshoes. Slower of course, but still running. It is going to be a really fun winter.
8) A good KitKat chocolate bar can put a smile on your face when needed the most. Honestly, how can you not smile when you are taking a KitKat break?